COVID-19 NOTICE: All in-person Master Gardener activities are canceled through the end of the 2020 garden season including the physical Diagnostic Clinic. For Diagnostic Services, please join the Online Yard & Garden Helpline, details below.
Master Gardeners can help you:
- Identify plants and weeds.
- Diagnose common insect, disease or plant problems.
- Explain how to control pests and weeds with little to no chemical use.
- Discuss your lawn, tree, flower, vegetable and pest problems.
Online Yard & Garden Helpline Hours
Saturdays 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.
August & September
Participants are encouraged to join the helpline events online so pictures and links can be shared, however they can also join by phone. Bring your questions or listen in.
—To join online by computer, smartphone, or tablet, follow this Zoom link HERE.
—To join by phone: Dial (651) 372 8299 and enter Meeting ID: 976 9690 3081.
- Collect your sample on the day you come to the clinic to keep it fresh.
- Fleshy plant parts (bulbs, fruits and roots): wrap plants in paper towels to absorb leaks.
- Flowers and vegetables: Bring the entire plan with the roots and surrounding soil. Enclose the roots in a plastic bag and keep the soil from touching the leaves. Bring enough plants to show all stages of the symptoms. Note the pattern of symptoms over the whole garden.
- Foliar disease: Bring enough plants to show all stages of the disease from healthy to sick. Note the overall pattern on the plant (i.e. are all the leaves affected or just the lower branches?).
- Grass samples: Grass samples must be a minimum of 6"x6" sections with the roots intact. Include sick grass, grass on the edge of the sick area and healthy grass.
- Woody trees and shrubs: Collect branch samples that show the range of symptoms but are not dead.
- Insect samples: Bring several specimens if possible. Include plant sample showing insect damage. Preserve soft-bodied specimens in rubbing alcohol.
Complete Plant (or Insect) Diagnostic Form
This is completely optional but strongly recommended. Filling in this form ahead of time will make sure you come ready with information that will help Master Gardeners answer your question or solve your problem